Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Wonderful Evening


Last night, some members of the 5th grade team from Durham Academy came over for dinner. I taught with most of them last year and they are some of the most gracious, fun, and interesting people I've ever met. Can't imagine having made it through my first semester of teaching without them. I provided bread and local goat cheese, pumpkin soup, black beans and cheese grits, an apple crisp, and brownies. Others brought wine, an amazing salad with a white balsamic vinegar dressing, fall vegetables, guac, salsa, and chips, and cornbread. There's something about a really great meal in the company of people with whom you feel totally comfortable. Little kids playing on the floor, folks making the dishes in the kitchen, folks loading the dishwasher before they left, and more food than could ever be eaten. Despite the fact that I have plenty of chairs, the real action of the party was in the kitchen with people sitting on the floor and leaning on the counters. It was the happiest and most peaceful I've felt in a long time.

More photos from the evening are here.

No comments: